- Seek medical attention: If you or anyone involved in the accident is injured, seek immediate medical attention. Make sure to document any injuries and treatment received.
- Gather evidence: Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, including the damage to both vehicles and any road conditions that may have contributed to the accident.
- Exchange information: Collect the contact information, insurance information, and license plate numbers of the other driver(s) involved in the accident.
- Contact a lawyer: Find a reputable lawyer who specializes in car accident cases. They will help you navigate the legal process and advise you on the best action.
- Communicate with your lawyer: Keep your lawyer informed of any developments in your case, including any medical updates or settlement offers from the other party’s insurance company.
- Follow your lawyer’s advice: Trust your lawyer’s expertise and experience and follow their advice to ensure the best outcome for your case.
- Document everything: Keep detailed records of all expenses and losses related to the accident, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. Your lawyer will use this information to build a strong case for you.
- Be prepared for court: Your lawyer will prepare you for court if your case goes to trial. They will help you understand the process and what to expect.
- Seek a fair settlement: Your lawyer will negotiate with the other party’s insurance company to reach a fair settlement that covers all of your expenses and losses.
- Finalize the case: Once a settlement is reached or the issue is resolved in court, your lawyer will finalize the case and ensure that all paperwork is in order.
Don’t speak to the other party’s insurance company: Without consulting your lawyer first, do not give any statement or sign any documents from the other party’s insurance company. They may try to use your words against you in the future.
Keep track of deadlines: Your lawyer will inform you of any deadlines for filing a claim or taking legal action. Make sure to meet these deadlines to ensure that your case is not dismissed.
Consider hiring an accident reconstruction expert: If your case goes to trial, your lawyer may hire an accident reconstruction expert to help prove your case.
Don’t accept the first settlement offer: Insurance companies often make lowball offers in hopes that you will take it. Don’t accept the first offer without consulting your lawyer.
Be patient: The legal process can take time, and it’s essential to be patient and work closely with your lawyer to achieve the best outcome.
Stay organized: Keep all documents and evidence related to the accident in one place, and make sure to share them with your lawyer. This will make the process of building your case much smoother.
Don’t post about the accident on social media: Insurance companies and the other party’s lawyers may use any information you post on social media against you. Be cautious of what you share online.
Don’t sign any release forms: Before you sign any release forms or agreements, make sure you fully understand the terms and consult with your lawyer.
Keep in touch with your lawyer: Your lawyer should keep you updated on the progress of your case and answer any questions you may have. If you don’t hear from them in a while, reach out and ask for an update.
Have a plan for payment: Depending on your lawyer’s payment structure, you may have to pay a retainer fee or a percentage of the settlement. Make sure you understand the payment plan and have a plan in place to pay for legal services.